2 Feb 2010

Kimchi hot pot with natto


Do you know what this is?
Yes, it's called Marmite. It's very familiar for people from particular countries and unpopular in many other places. This black paste is made of yeast extract and is usually eaten with bread. It tastes strong so I couldn't understand it the first time I tried it. But I didn't want to regret not understanding what many people enjoy. So I tried it many times and now,  I love it. Whenever I have a chance, I buy 2 or 3 bottles.

There is a famous-to-dislike food in Japan as well. It is called "Natto"- a smelly and sticky fermented soy bean which is popular for Japanese people to eat at breakfast but for foreigners to hate.

But it's always worth to find new tastes without prejudice. The most simple and popular way of eating natto is to stir, add a bit of soy sauce (with mustard or finely cut spring onion if you like) and eat it with rice. But today I will try something different for natto beginners...

Ingredients:
daikon
kimchi
ginger
sliced pork
tofu
Chinese cabbage
and of course natto
1- Heat sesame oil and stir fry the finely cut ginger, pork, kimchi and sliced daikon.

2- When the pork is cooked, add soup (any stock), tofu and the cut Chinese cabbage. Boil until it's all cooked.

Spring onion, mushrooms and some noodles are nice as well. Natto doesn't smell but makes a nicely tasting soup in the hot pot so I hope you like it!

Itadakimasu.