31 Jan 2010

Marmalade from the garden


On a beautiful Sunday morning I felt relaxed by a little walk. Around our place is a little hilly which makes our walk more interesting. I walked up and down looking at trees, birds and houses. Then I was amazed by a big orange tree in a old house's garden. Under the tree I found a box with some oranges in it. The sign said '100 yen (about 1USD) for each bag'. Of course, I got 3 fresh oranges to take home!


This type of orange in winter is a bit too sour to eat by itself so I decided to make a marmalade. Please make sure the oranges are grown without any agrochemical.
Ingredients:
oranges (coat, fruit, seeds)
sugar (50-80% of the weight of the oranges)*
*Depending on your taste

1- Wash and peel the orange, boil the coat and then wash it in the cold water. Keep it in the water for 3 hours.

2- Cut the coat finely and then boil, wash and wring 2 or 3 times till less bitter.

3- Cut the fruit pieces very small.

4- Boil the seeds in a small water to get pectin. Keep the boiling water.

5- After boiling 2 and 3 for 30 minutes, add sugar and the sauce of 4. Boil and stir till it has thickened.

Before you put the marmalade into a bottle, please boil the bottle for disinfection.

To be honest, my marmalade became too bitter because I was in a hurry to do 1 and 2... I wish you a success!!!

Itadakimasu.