27 Feb 2010

Warm soba

Today, the Health, Labour and Welfare Ministry of Japan warned public facilities like restaurants or stations not to allow smoking inside. However, the warning doesn't hold any strict penalty so it'll be left to the judgment of the facilities' owners in the end.

In Japan, some restaurants and cafes have a separated smoking room, but there are still many places that have no system to protect non-smokers from smoking, which is lagging behind the rest of the developed world.

It's difficult to find a right place to relax. When I have to eat or drink tea in a smoky environment, I feel anger to pay for the place that destroys my health and my relaxation time.
Also I feel very nervous when I see a smoker walking outside. It involves the risk of the ash flying into my eyes, hair and clothes, and the cigarette touching my body.

Today's cooking is a simple, warm and tasty soba. For a long time already in Japan, udon and soba have been eaten in a simple way to enjoy their natural taste.
Ingredients for two serves;
soba
age (fried tofu)
carrot
chicken
soy sauce (1tbsps)
salt
mirin [Japanese sweet wine] (2tbsps)
soup -from dried bonito and konbu (3cups)

1- Boil the soup with soy sauce, salt, mirin, the finely cut age, carrot and a bit of chicken (just for its stock). Adjust the taste with salt.
2- Boil soba and wash it with the cold water.

3- Put 1 through the hot water again, drain the water and move it into a bowl.

4- Put 1 into 3.

Itadakimasu.