27 Feb 2010

Fried burdock and carrot, "kinpira gobo"

Today the temperature went up to 18 degrees in Tokyo and I'm happy that the coldest season is finally going away. It seems that everyone is waiting to enjoy the cherry blossoms.

The winter Olympics is currently happening in Vancouver. I was surprised to see that many Korean athletes won medals. I guess people are very excited watching the Olympics over in Korea. 
The Korean figure skater Kim Yu-Na is famous, even in Japan.

It looks like the ladies' figure skating is attracting a lot of the media's attention as I see them in the news every day. But it actually attracts me when I look at them dancing elegantly on the ice.

I will cook burdock today. Burdock ("gobo" in Japanese) looks like a dirty wooden stick but it tastes good. This fried burdocking and carrot is one of the basic Japanese foods.
Ingredients;
burdock
carrot
soy sauce (1tbsp)
sugar (1tbsp)
mirin[Japanese sweet wine] (1tbsp)
sake (2tbsps)
sesame
sesame oil

1- Wash and chip the burdock and put it in the water for 10 min. Cut the carrot finely.

2- Fry the burdock with sesame oil. When the burdock is softer, add the carrot and stir fry.

3- Add sugar, mirin, sake and soy sauce. Stir it with some sesame when it's finished.

Itadakimasu.