15 Feb 2010

Sweet potato rice and a good knife sharpener


Do you know what it is?
 It looks like a cute fish toy but it is a knife sharpener that is only about 10cm long and magnetic on the bottom. You can put the knife blade between the ceramic balls and just rub it softly for a few times. At first, I doubted the effect because its cute looking, but it works really well. After using this fish sharpener, my 2 year old knife that had never been sharpened can cut through a ripe tomato easily. The sharpener cost me only about 600yen.

A lot of convenient and cute kitchen goods are being invented all the time here in Japan. That makes me surprised whenever I stop by kitchen shops. I used to see my father's sharpening a knife and it looked difficult and taking long. But now, I can do the job in one minute... which is amazing, isn't it?

Today I can use my sharpened knife to cut the hard sweet potato. It's sweet potato rice!

Ingredients for 4 people:
rice (2 or 3cups)
sweet potato (1/2)
salt (1tsp)

1- Wash the sweet potato and cut it into 2cm squares.

2- Wash Japanese rice and cook it with 1 and salt.

Japanese sweet potato is very sweet. If you can't get it, then try other types grown in your area. It might be different but tasty as well!

Itadakimasu.